- This event has passed.
Lobby Your MP in London!
October 24, 2017
On Tuesday 24 October, join us in Westminster as Britain for Europe, European Movement UK, Scientists for Europe and Healthier IN Europe will join forces to lobby our MPs, show support for the EU, and participate in a conference discussing and challenging Brexit.
Whilst lobbying your MP is not a requirement of attending the conference, it is highly recommended that you take this opportunity to do so as part of this day of united action; pro-remain groups will come from across the country, to show MPs the widespread and deeply rooted support for the UK remaining within the EU.
The conference offers a full programme of debates from key speakers, advisory sessions from remain groups, and will address the following topics:
- Current developments in Parliament;
- How public opinion on Brexit is changing;
- The impact on the UK of political changes in France and Germany;
- How we can build our strength to have maximum impact, both locally and nationally.
- Rt Hon Dominic Grieve QC, Conservative MP for Beaconsfield, Attorney General 2010-2014
- David Lammy MP – British Labour politician, Member of Parliament for Tottenham since 2000
- Polly Toynbee – journalist and writer. Guardian columnist since 1998
- Ian Dunt – Editor of Politics.co.uk, author of Brexit: What The Hell Happens Now?
- Quentin Peel – Associate fellow with the Europe Programme at Chatham House
- Susie Courtault – Chair of Brighton and Hove for Europe
- Julia Cavalier – Chair Dorset for Europe
- Mike Galsworthy – Programme Director at Scientists for EU, Researcher at LSHTM.
It’s time for us to take our message direct to our MPs as they go about their work in Parliament.
What is the effect of lobbying my MP?
A mass lobby of Parliament has a direct impact on the way MPs think and act. It shows that their constituents have been compelled to travel to Westminster on a weekday to address them directly, in order to raise their concerns. They will see throughout the day that this is happening not just to themselves, but also to other MPs.
We need show them that there is widespread and deeply rooted support for the UK remaining within the EU as a country that champions peace, prosperity, human rights and protection of the environment. And we need your help to achieve this!
How do I lobby my MP?
It’s a very easy single-step process. Simply contact your MP and schedule in a time to meet in Westminster Hall, on Tuesday 24th October. There will be a full briefing with all the finer detail at 11.30 in the Conference centre, before the lobby commences.
A few tips to consider:
- It’s best to make contact as soon as possible to have more of a guarantee that your MP will be available on the day;
- It would be preferable to avoid meeting MPs between 11:00 and 12:30, as there will be a pre-lobby briefing and an essential group photograph for press releases during this time;
- Inform your MP of your plan to attend the Pro EU Lobby and Conference, and your support of the campaign to ensure that the UK remains a member of the European Union;
- Then simply step out of the Conference to meet them at your scheduled time, put forward your questions, and voila – you have successfully lobbied your MP!
If an MP doesn’t reply or says they are unable to meet you, you can still request to meet them on the day by submitting a request card in the Central Lobby of the House of Commons.
Tickets for the Pro EU Lobby and Conference cost £5, which includes tea or coffee on arrival. We will send you a full schedule of the day’s sessions closer to the event.
If would like further information about how to lobby your MP please contact Tom Davies at email@example.com.
If you have any other questions about this event please email Tessa Brooks at firstname.lastname@example.org.